August 23, 2008

-8- Every Picture Tells A Story

I like to take pictures . Thank goodness for digital technology that allows one the freedom to take lots of pictures and you can see the results in real time. That does not make up for bad photographs and in fact, it probably contributes to more bad pictures being taken. Still, every picture ever taken tells a story.

Often the most ordinary of scenes makes a great story. The picture in this post is one of my favorites. It tells a big story to me and to my family. I have it framed and hanging on the wall where I can see it daily. Here is a moment frozen in time and full of characters, each character with their own story.

Let me set the scene for you and then tell the story. Terry and I had traveled to Tucson to watch our niece Lindsay participate in an Arizona Junior Rodeo. It was late January, it was cold for Tucson, with cold wind and snow falling on the higher elevations. The rodeo was actually in Marana, which is just west of Tucson.

Lindsay competes in all the female rodeo events: barrel racing, pole bending, goat tying, breakaway roping and ribbon roping. Each event requires athletic ability and skill by both horse and rider. Lindsay's barrel and pole horse is a big muscular black horse called Joe. On this particular occasion, Lindsay had a good day, winning many events and being named the winner of All Round competitor. A competitor is awarded points for their placement in each event. Add up all the points and the one with the most wins All Round.

Now that the scene is set, I can tell the story of the picture. From right to left we have Joe and Lindsay, rodeo competitors. Next to them in the white jacket is Ashley (our daughter-in-law) who is a nurse. She was there to support Lindsay and visit with the in-laws (us). Terry (my wife), Marty (my sister-in-law) are next. Barnes (my son) is in the left background with a baseball hat on. Barnes is talking to two young ladies in the background. On the shoulder of the young lady in the red jacket we see a small puppy, soon to be named Shiloh. In the picture, Shiloh was looking for a name and a home. Today, Shiloh lives with Barnes and Ashley. Barnes is a farrier and keeps horseshoes on Joe and Lindsay's other horses. This picture tells a story of a family, of the celebration of a young athlete and her horse, of coming together for a time, of celebrating one of those fragile moments in time that is upon you and gone for ever. Gone except for memories, gone except for a picture that tells a story.

Now make no mistake about it. If I tried to stage this photograph, it would not work. Quite honestly, I do not even remember taking it at the time. I look at it today and I see so much which is part of my life, in one picture that tells a story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice - keep on blogging!